(Natural News) Vitamin D is a unique kind of vitamin that does not act in the same way that other vitamins do. Instead, it acts more like a hormone that is naturally produced by your body. It is known as the “Sunshine Vitamin” because you normally get this vitamin from your skin’s exposure to sunlight.
The way it works is that the sun beams down strong ultraviolet B (UVB) rays when it shines during the day. When these rays interact with the cholesterol in your skin cells, this provides the energy for vitamin D synthesis to occur. If you happen to live in an area that is far from the equator, or if you spend a lot of your time indoors, you might not get enough vitamin D. If you aren’t careful, this could potentially put you at risk of vitamin D deficiency, which can be a cause for concern because vitamin D is essential for optimal health. (Related: The Amazing Health Benefits of Vitamin D.)
7 Reasons why your body needs vitamin D
Optimize your overall health and well-being with vitamin D. Here are some of the health benefits the sunshine vitamin can provide:
1) Vitamin D supports healthy bones. Your bones need calcium and phosphorus to grow properly. Vitamin D supports your body’s natural absorption of these two vital minerals that are necessary for strong, healthy bones and teeth.
2) Vitamin D supports a healthy immune system. This vitamin is well-known to help strengthen the immune system and facilitate its normal functions.
3) Vitamin D balances and uplifts mood. Vitamin D has a tremendous effect on supporting a positive mood.
4) Vitamin D supports the optimal health of children. Vitamin D plays a vital role in the normal growth and maintenance of the skeletal and immune systems of children.
5) Vitamin D supports optimal health during pregnancy. Vitamin D is essential for a healthy pregnancy. Pregnant women need adequate amounts of vitamin D for their own personal well-being and to ensure the healthy development of their babies.
6) Vitamin D supports a healthy respiratory system. Studies suggest that high levels of vitamin D are associated with healthy lung and respiratory functions. It can also aid in the protection of your respiratory system against external threats.
7) Vitamin D supports healthy brain function. Vitamin D regulates the absorption of calcium, which supports healthy brain functions.
You can choose to increase your vitamin D intake by spending more time outdoors, eating vitamin-D rich food, or by taking vitamin D supplements. According to several studies, vitamin D3 is the superior form of vitamin D, compared to vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), which is found in plants. A study led by the Creighton University in Nebraska suggested that vitamin D3 is 87% more usable by the human body compared to vitamin D2.
For those that choose to take D3 supplements, we recommend The Health Ranger’s Chief Originals Vitamin D3 (5000 IU) veg capsules, the world’s first glyphosate-tested Vitamin D3 capsules from a renewable, natural source
For more information on the health benefits of vitamin D, visit VitaminD.news.