(Natural News) In this review, researchers from different universities in China systematically summarized the chemical composition of mulberry from the genus Morus and the pharmacological effects of each of its medicinal parts on diabetes mellitus. This article was published in The American Journal of Chinese Medicine.
- Diabetes mellitus is a serious metabolic disorder that is now considered a global epidemic.
- Despite new advancements in modern medicine, traditional medicine is still used to prevent and treat diabetes in many countries. For instance, traditional herbal medicines are still commonly used in Asian countries.
- Mulberry has been used for thousands of years in China and is still widely used today for the treatment of diabetes.
- According to numerous preclinical findings, mulberry is a promising alternative medicine for diabetes mellitus. Researchers have identified polyhydroxylated alkaloids, flavonoids, and polysaccharides as the possible active components of mulberry.
- Different medicinal parts of mulberry exert therapeutic effects on diabetes mellitus. These effects include improved glucose absorption, enhanced insulin production/secretion, anti-oxidation, and anti-inflammation.
The researchers believe that while there are still many challenges to be overcome, there are plenty of opportunities at present to do research that could one day spur the development of mulberry into a clinically approved drug for the widespread treatment of diabetes mellitus.
Wei H, Liu S, Liao Y, Ma C, Wang D, Tong J, Feng J, Yi T, Zhu L. A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF THE MEDICINAL POTENTIAL OF MULBERRY IN TREATING DIABETES MELLITUS. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2018;46(08):1743–1770. DOI: 10.1142/s0192415x1850088x