(Natural News) Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, is a bigger problem than it’s often given credit for. Its effects go beyond sexual satisfaction, influencing even its sufferers’ quality of life, relationships, and risk for psychological problems like depression. Although there are medications to address the problem, homeopathic treatments are seen as a safer option because of their effectiveness and lack of adverse side effects.
In its loosest definition, erectile dysfunction is simply the inability to get or sustain an erection. It sounds simple and straightforward, but it’s actually rather complex. Oftentimes, it is a complication of an injury or other health conditions, like heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and obesity. Certain bad habits, such as substance abuse, alcoholism, and smoking, can also cause erectile dysfunction. It may also be a side effect of certain medications.
Psychological factors may also come into play. Men who are depressed or those who are under a lot of stress may experience impotence. Sleep disorders, like sleep apnea, affect a man’s testosterone levels and may cause erectile dysfunction.
Chemical drugs, including the infamous “little blue pill,” are often prescribed to men with erectile dysfunction with varying results. Using them can be risky, however, as they cause side effects ranging from head and muscle aches to diarrhea, to hearing loss, and even erections that last an abnormally long time. Men who are prone to heart attack or stroke are also discouraged from taking these drugs.
Some sufferers turn to homeopathic remedies not only for their effectiveness but also for their safety. Here are three homeopathic treatments men can take:
There is a good chance that for any disease, nature offers a remedy. Men suffering from erectile dysfunction can turn to the following herbs:
- Panax ginseng – This herb has been called the “elixir of life” in Chinese medicine because of its far-reaching health benefits. One of its uses is as a short-term aphrodisiac, with effects including improvements in penile rigidity and girth, an enhanced libido, a longer-lasting erection, and greater satisfaction.
- Lepidium meyenii – Also known as maca, this Peruvian vegetable is a superfood filled with health-boosting ingredients. A study compared men who took maca and those who didn’t. Those in the former group reported improvements in sexual desire.
- Ginkgo biloba – The potential of ginkgo as a treatment for impotence was accidentally discovered when men attending a study on the herb’s brain benefits also reported having an erection. Ginkgo is reportedly especially effective against erectile dysfunction that originates from depression.
This traditional Chinese treatment involves sticking needles in different areas of the body to relieve pain and treat a wide variety of conditions. It is based on the premise that certain diseases are caused by an imbalance in life energy. Sticking needles restores balance and facilitates treatment.
Men looking to treat erectile dysfunction using acupuncture need not worry – the needles go to pressure points specific to erectile dysfunction. These are located along the abdomen, the hands, and the legs. One particular study that compared acupuncture on these points and similar treatment on other points in the body found that the majority of those who were treated properly experienced improvements in their symptoms. Those who crossed over and were given acupuncture in impotence-specific pressure points also reported improvements.
The penis also needs proper nutrition to stay healthy and functional. Ensuring a healthy intake of the following nutrients will help men prevent erectile dysfunction or improve its symptoms:
- L-Arginine – This nutrient is vital to the production of nitric oxide (NO), a natural chemical that maintains the smooth lining of the blood vessels. NO essentially encourages blood to flow into the penis, leading to an erection.
- Vitamin B3 – Also known as niacin, this nutrient plays an important role in the health of blood vessels. One research indicates that niacin supplementation can help men with moderate or severe impotence maintain an erection better.
- Vitamin B9 – Otherwise known as folic acid or just folate, this nutrient is another contributor to the production of NO. Some studies have linked a deficiency in this nutrient and difficulties with achieving and maintaining an erection.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin has antioxidant properties that encourage the production of NO and prevent its breakdown. For best results, you can take vitamin C together with vitamin E.
- Vitamin D – A deficiency in this essential vitamin is linked to higher risks of developing erectile dysfunction. Aside from spending time under the (morning) sun, men who want more vitamin D can obtain it from fish, beef, and eggs, as well as supplements.
As previously mentioned, erectile dysfunction is very rarely the disease – rather, it is simply a complication or an indication of another health issue. Effectively addressing it often means treating the underlying condition first.
Find more homeopathic treatments for erectile dysfunction at Cures.news.