(Natural News) A comprehensive review of the scientific studies concerning black seed (Nigella sativa) showed that the plant possesses numerous medicinal uses. The Iranian researchers reported that the seed and oil of the popular spice possess bioactive compounds that can amend asthma, diabetes, digestive problems, inflammatory diseases, and rheumatoid arthritis, among other diseases.
The review was supported by the Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. It was published in the Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines.
- The EBSCO, EMBASE, IranMedex, Medline, PubMed, Science Direct, Science Direct, SID, and Scopus databases provided access to scientific and medical journals that published findings on black seed. Books on local medicinal plants and traditional medicine served as other sources of data.
- The findings were in Persian and English. The keywords “Black seed,” “Nigella sativa,” medicinal plant,” and “therapeutic effect” were used as keywords for both database-drawn and book-derived data.
- Studies and texts attributed numerous beneficial biological effects to black seed, especially in its seeds and oil. This included anti-hyperlipidemic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antioxidant activities.
- The compounds in black seed are able to inhibit the development and effects of cancer, diabetes, and hypertension. It can also improve the healing of wounds.
- Black seed naturally provides anti-convulsant and analgesic effects. It is able to restore and support the healthy functions of the central nervous, digestive, immune, and reproductive systems.
Given the numerous sources, the researchers concluded that black seed – also known as black cumin – displayed significant therapeutic properties, thereby making the plant a rich source of bioactive molecules that can be turned into new pharmaceutical products.
Check out SuperFoods.news to read more articles about the qualities of black cumin as a superfood.
Kooti W, Hasanzadeh-Noohi Z, Sharafi-Ahvazi N, Asadi-Samani M, Ashtary-Larky D. PHYTOCHEMISTRY, PHARMACOLOGY, AND THERAPEUTIC USES OF BLACK SEED ( NIGELLA SATIVA ). Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines. 31 October 2016;14(10):732–745. DOI: 10.1016/s1875-5364(16)30088-7.