(Natural News) Daily consumption of food supplements with anticancer potential has become a way to prevent and manage cancer. Aged garlic is one of the superfoods known to fight cancer. A review of studies published in the Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines confirmed that aged garlic can be used as a promising daily food supplement for preventing and treating cancer because of its compound called S-allylmercaptocysteine (SAMC).
There is growing evidence that supports a link between garlic consumption and decreased cancer incidence. Notably, aged garlic extract (AGE) has stronger anticancer activities than that of fresh garlic, because it is enriched with AGE-specific organosulfur compounds, including SAMC.
In this review, researchers from Fujian Normal University, Shenzhen Third People’s Hospital, and The University of Hong Kong gathered and evaluated existing studies on SAMC and its anticancer potential. They summarized the up-to-date mechanistic pathways associated with the anti-proliferative, anti-metastatic and pro-apoptotic effects of SAMC in various cancer models.
Based on the evidence gathered, the researcher found that SAMC can protect against cancer because of its ability to eliminate reactive oxygen species (ROS) and increase antioxidant enzymes. SAMC also exhibits anti-tumor effects by activating mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), scavenging active oxygen, and inhibiting inflammation. Moreover, SAMC can induce Bcl-2 family imbalance to cause programmed cell death of tumor cells. It can also inhibit tumor cell proliferation and suppress tumor cell invasiveness. Additionally, it can increase the chemosensitivity of cancer cells.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
AGE also protects against cardiovascular disease
AGE has been studied most often for its ability to prevent cardiovascular disease. Aged garlic is made by diluting garlic in alcohol without heat. Through this aging process, unique and powerful compounds like SAMC and other S-allyl compounds are produced. AGE protects against cardiovascular disease in various ways:
- Prevents plaque buildup: AGE can help reverse early heart disease by eliminating plaque buildup from artery walls. When plaque builds up inside the arteries, atherosclerosis occurs. Plaque can harden and narrow the arteries. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition has found that people with metabolic syndrome aged between 40 and 75 who took 2,400 mg of AGE every day experienced slower plaque buildup compared to those who took a placebo. Furthermore, AGE supplementation caused a regression of low-attenuation plaque or soft plaque. Reducing this type of plaque has a dramatic stabilizing effect on atherosclerosis. AGE’s ability to inhibit and reverse arterial plaque buildup is an important factor in reducing the risk of atherosclerosis. (Related: Aged garlic is incredibly good for your heart.)
- Improves endothelial function and vascular elasticity: A study in the journal Nutrition revealed that AGE also improved endothelial function and vascular elasticity – both of which are important factors in preventing atherosclerosis. In the study, participants subject to occupational stress took either a placebo or AGE plus coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) daily. One year after, those who took AGE plus CoQ10 experienced a reduction in vascular stiffness and a substantial improvement in endothelial function.
- Fights inflammation: AGE also prevents atherosclerosis because of its ability to reduce inflammation. Chronic inflammation contributes to the formation and progression of atherosclerotic plaques, and supplementation with AGE fights inflammation.
- Reduces cholesterol levels: In addition to reducing inflammation, AGE supplementation can also lower blood low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol, according to a study published in the journal Clinical Nutrition ESPEN.
- Lowers blood pressure: AGE also protects against cardiovascular disease by reducing blood pressure, according to a review and meta-analysis published in the Journal of Nutrition. AGE has also been found to work best in people who need it the most.
For more studies on food supplements that have anticancer potential like aged garlic, visit AntiCancer.news.