(Natural News) Researchers from the University of Central Florida suggest supplementing with beta-alanine to increase muscle carnosine and relieve fatigue. In their study, which was published in the journal Nutrition Research, the team looked at the effects of beta-alanine supplementation on performance, muscle carnosine, and L-histidine in men and women.
- Earlier studies have shown that supplementation with beta-alanine leads to increased intramuscular carnosine content, improving buffering capacity during intense exercise.
- Recent research has also suggested that beta-alanine supplementation may also decrease muscle L-histidine.
- For the current study, the research team compared the effects of beta-alanine supplementation between men and women.
- They hypothesized that beta-alanine supplementation would result in similar increases in carnosine and performance between men and women and would reduce muscle L-histidine.
- To test this hypothesis, they recruited 26 men and women and randomly gave them either beta-alanine or placebo for 28 days.
- The results showed that beta-alanine supplementation greatly increased muscle carnosine and reduced exercise fatigue both in men and women.
- However, beta-alanine supplementation did not affect muscle L-histidine.
- The differences between men and women were unclear.
The findings of the study suggested that supplementing with beta-alanine for 28 days can increase muscle carnosine and relieve fatigue in men and women, but did not reduce muscle L-histidine.
To read more studies on supplements for better exercise performance, visit Nutraceuticals.news.
Varanoske AN, Hoffman JR, Church DD, Coker NA, Baker KM, Dodd SJ, Oliveira LP, Dawson VL, Wang R, Fukuda DH, Stout JR. ? -ALANINE SUPPLEMENTATION ELEVATES INTRAMUSCULAR CARNOSINE CONTENT AND ATTENUATES FATIGUE IN MEN AND WOMEN SIMILARLY BUT DOES NOT CHANGE MUSCLE L -HISTIDINE CONTENT. Nutrition Research. December 2017; 48: 16-25. DOI: 10.1016/j.nutres.2017.10.002