(Natural News) A team of researchers from Pusan National University in South Korea looked at the protective effects of sea cucumber against asthma using a mouse model. The results of their study were published in The American Journal of Chinese Medicine.
- Sea cucumber extracts have powerful biological effects, such as antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral.
- To understand the anti-asthma effects of sea cucumber extracts, the research team gave mice seven oral administrations of sea cucumber extracts. Then, they induced allergic airway inflammation using ovalbumin (OVA)-alum.
- They found that pretreatment with sea cucumber extracts significantly reduced the hyper-responsiveness of mice compared with those who did not receive any treatment.
- They also found that the number of eosinophils in the lungs of asthmatic mice pretreated with sea cucumber extract was significantly reduced.
- Moreover, regulatory T cells, which help regulate or suppress inflammation, significantly increased in the mesenteric lymph nodes of pretreated mice after seven administrations of sea cucumber extract.
The researchers concluded that sea cucumber extract can be used as a natural remedy for asthma because of its ability to reduce allergic airway inflammation via activation of regulatory T cells.
To read more studies on natural remedies for asthma, visit FoodIsMedicine.com.
Lee DI, Park MK, Kang SA, Choi JH, Kang SJ, Lee JY, Yu HS. PREVENTIVE INTRA ORAL TREATMENT OF SEA CUCUMBER AMELIORATE OVA-INDUCED ALLERGIC AIRWAY INFLAMMATION. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 17 November 2016;44(8):1663-1674. DOI: 10.1142/S0192415X16500932