(Natural News) Many people experience anxiety when faced with stressful things, like a new job or a different environment. However, some people might have anxiety that’s too severe that it interrupts their daily lives. To relieve anxiety, there are many safe and effective natural remedies that can be used.
Anxiety is normal but when the intensity isn’t proportional to the cause or when it lasts for long periods of time, that is when it becomes a problem. People with severe anxiety tend to rely on prescription drugs to get the relief that they are looking for. However, anxiety medications tend to cause unwanted side effects like nausea, headache, sleep disorders, fatigue, and addiction. In addition to this, prescription drugs can also be pricey so not everyone who needs them will be able to afford them. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies that are safe and effective. These include the following:
- Arctic root – This herb is commonly used both in Scandinavian and Chinese traditional medicine. It works as an adaptogen that promotes the production of neurotransmitters, like serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. The increase in these hormones can relieve symptoms of anxiety, such as brain fog, low energy, poor concentration, and depression.
- Ashwagandha – With a name that translates to “smell of the horse,” potential users should be wary of its strong smell. However, don’t let the smell of this herb be a turn off since its benefits will surely make up for it. When consumed, this herb can significantly reduce cortisol levels by 25 percent leading to a calmer state of mind. Additionally, ashwagandha is also said to increase stamina and strength.
- Bacopa – Bacopa is a part of Ayurvedic medicine. Although it doesn’t work as fast as the other remedies, months of taking bacopa can lead to anxiety relief, as well as improved memory, attention, and brain power.
- Ginkgo biloba – The ginkgo biloba plant has been around for over 270 million years, and fortunately, they still exist today. Eating ginkgo biloba reduces cortisol production to help promote a calm state of mind instead of anxiety.
- Ginseng – Believed to be the “elixir of life,” different varieties of ginseng have multiple health benefits. It can be used for treating disorders like anxiety, fatigue, and depression since it calms the body while simultaneously providing energy. Additionally, ginseng can also promote sleep and a general feeling of well-being.
- Kava – This medicinal plant reduces anxiety by promoting gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) production. GABA is a known neurotransmitter that relaxes the mind and slows down brain functions. People who are under other medications or natural remedies should consult with a healthcare professional before taking kava since it could have unwanted interactions.
- Passionflower – Similar to kava, the passion flower also works by increasing GABA levels. Previous studies have shown that passionflower is as good as the prescription drug Serax when it comes to treating generalized anxiety disorder but unlike the latter, passionflower does not have adverse side effects.
- Valerian – Valerian is highly recommended for patients diagnosed with anxiety and insomnia since it not only relieves anxiety, it can also promote sleep. This herb also works by promoting GABA production in the brain.
- Fish oil – Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil are important for maintaining cell structure. This is important since healthy brain cells can effectively protect the brain against disorders, like anxiety and depression. Aside from this, omega-3 can also reduce chronic neuroinflammation, which has been associated with anxiety, ADHD, dementia, and Alzheimer’s, since it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Probiotics – The bacteria living in a person’s gut play a role in the production of important neurotransmitters like GABA and serotonin. Studies show that eating probiotic-rich foods can reduce anxiety and depression. Eating probiotics is not enough since the bacteria should also have proper sources of nourishment, also known as prebiotics. Some examples of prebiotics are barley, lentils, tomatoes, and garlic.
These natural remedies for anxiety are safe, effective, and cheap, making them great alternatives for harmful prescription drugs available on the market. (Related: Anxiety and insomnia drugs elevate risk of death.)
Learn more natural remedies for anxiety by visiting Mental.news today.