(Natural News) Metabolism is genetic, but it can be improved by eating the right food. Metabolism is the body’s process of converting what you eat and drink into energy. In this process, calories from food and beverages are combined with oxygen to produce the energy that the body needs in order to function. Instead of munching on chips, cookies, and other unhealthy snacks, switch to healthier options that boost your metabolism and promote a healthy weight loss. Listed below are healthy and tasty snack options for boosting metabolism that are all below 100 calories. (Related: Fourteen metabolism boosting behaviors that will help you keep your weight loss resolution.)
- Fruits – Munch on a medium-sized fruit like an apple, which typically contains 95 calories. Apples and pears help boost metabolism and speed up weight loss, according to studies.
- Egg – Eating one whole egg, boiled egg in particular, is an easy and healthy snack that is rich in protein. Protein has a high thermic effect, which means that the body burns more calories. One egg contains about 74 calories.
- Dried figs – A single dried fig contains about 21 calories. Eat four dried figs as your snack instead of sugary fruit pies or other baked goods for dessert.
- Khakra – Khakra is a round, cream, crispy, and thin cracker that is popular in India. It is made from wheat flour and oil, and is usually served for breakfast. Eat only one piece of khakra as it typically contains 66 calories.
- Yogurt – One of the greatest foods to eat when you are trying to lose weight and improve metabolism is yogurt. It is rich in calcium and protein, provides energy, and helps build muscle. Moreover, it is good for digestion. Snack on ½ cup of low-fat plain or flavored yogurt. One hundred grams of yogurt contain 59 calories.
- Hummus – Hummus is a well-known dip or spread in the Middle East. It is made from finely mashed or pureed chickpeas. Chickpeas are rich in protein, which can help you feel fuller longer. It is also rich in iron, and dietary fiber which can help improve digestion. A study also found that in can reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and death from heart disease. One tablespoon of hummus contains about 25 calories, so snack on three tablespoons of hummus to improve metabolism.
- Buttermilk – Drinking a glass of buttermilk, which contains about 98 calories, is a good replacement for snacks that contain more calories.
- Vegetable juice – If you are trying to lose weight, drink an eight-ounce glass of vegetable juice a day, and the juice must be made with more vegetables than fruit.
- Soya nuts – Soya nuts have a relatively low caloric content, but is rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Boiled corn – Instead of eating a corn-on-the-cob with butter, snack on a small bowl of boiled corn. It is low in fat and rich in fiber and vitamins.
- Sprouts – Sprouts have plenty of enzymes and protein that can impact metabolic activity.
- Popcorn – Instead of those unhealthy chips, eat three cups of air-popped plain popcorn for speeding up your metabolism. A cup of air-popped popcorn contains 31 total calories.
Read more stories on fitness, health, and diet at Slender.news.