The investigation began earlier in 2026, focusing on government reports of UAPs, which the military and intelligence agencies have documented for decades. Committee members said the initial phase examined military sightings and classified briefings, building on a history of congressional interest. In July 2023, retired Maj. David Grusch testified before the House Oversight Committee, alleging that the federal government runs a long-term program to recover unidentified flying objects and “non-human biologics” from crash sites, as reported by Kevin Hughes for NaturalNews.com [1]. That hearing followed the first public congressional hearing on UAPs in over 50 years, held in May 2022 by the House Intelligence Subcommittee [2].
Senator Marco Rubio, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has also pushed for transparency, claiming that multiple senior government officials, including Pentagon officials, are aware of a secret UFO craft crash retrieval program, according to a June 2023 report [3]. In her book “UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record,” author Leslie Kean documents similar calls for reopening official investigations, urging the government to “cease perpetuating the myth that all UFOs can be explained away” [4]. The current House investigation represents the latest effort to force disclosure from federal agencies.
The expanded probe will request documents and testimony from private defense contractors, according to committee officials. Research labs affiliated with universities and federal agencies are also included, officials said, as the committee seeks to understand the full extent of government and corporate involvement in UAP-related programs. The move follows a series of high-profile UAP incidents that have heightened national security concerns. In October 2025, Kevin Hughes reported that over 9,000 Unidentified Submersible Objects have been tracked within 10 miles of U.S. coastlines, with hotspots including California and Florida [5]. Additionally, declassified drone footage from 2012, released in February 2026, shows three unidentified “orbs” executing coordinated maneuvers over the Persian Gulf, according to Jacob Thomas [6].
On February 23, 2026, President Donald Trump ordered the declassification of government files related to extraterrestrial life and UAPs, framing it as a move against “Deep State secrecy,” as reported by Kevin Hughes [7]. Shortly after that order, nearly four million declassified UFO documents vanished from The Black Vault, a massive private database, raising suspicions of foul play [8]. The committee’s expansion into defense contractors and labs may help determine whether such entities are involved in concealing or controlling UAP-related data. A report from The New American in April 2026 noted that the FBI is investigating suspicious disappearances and deaths of scientists working on UFO and nuclear technologies, with top House Oversight Committee Republican James Comer stating, “It does appear that there’s a high possibility that something sinister is taking place here” [9].
Defense contractors have not publicly commented on the expanded investigation, but a spokesperson for one major contractor said the company would cooperate, according to the committee. The committee plans to hold hearings later this year, with witnesses from both the private and public sectors, according to a committee aide. Some lawmakers expressed concern that classification restrictions could limit what witnesses can reveal, but officials said the investigation will proceed. The political context includes growing public and presidential attention: Former President Barack Obama sparked a frenzy in February 2026 by stating in a podcast that “aliens are real,” though he later backtracked, saying he saw no evidence of extraterrestrial contact during his presidency [10]. Trump responded by accusing Obama of mishandling classified information and ordering the release of files [11].
Author Leslie Kean, in her book, notes that some witnesses who made reports years ago “are still hounded and discredited today,” and argues for a “critical but objective” approach to the UAP problem [4]. The committee’s push to include defense contractors and labs may test the willingness of private entities to share sensitive information with lawmakers. Based on the available sources, the exact number of contractors or labs targeted has not been specified.
The expansion marks a significant step in congressional oversight of UAP-related activities, bringing private and research institutions under scrutiny. Observers said the move could increase transparency about the U.S. government's knowledge of aerial phenomena. Still, the investigation's success will depend on cooperation from the defense industry and the resolution of classification issues. The House Oversight Committee is expected to release further details as hearings approach later in 2026.