The update added more than 50 wounded troops and brought the official total to 757 wounded and 18 killed, according to the War Department's Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS). The tally combines casualties recorded under Operation Epic Fury with a new category the department created last month for overseas operations [1].
During the war's first 10 days, Reuters reported that as many as 150 U.S. service members had been wounded [2]. U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) separately confirmed that six American service members were killed and at least 18 others seriously wounded in one Iranian strike on an American operations center [3].
The War Department in late July placed four troops killed during renewed fighting with Iran in a separate category, removing them from the official Iran war death toll, the Associated Press reported. The change raised questions about how the War Department counts casualties as the administration escalated strikes aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz [4]. The change appeared to be the result of an adjustment in casualty tracking categories in the DCAS [5].
The July 7 cutoff aligns with the White House's notification to Congress that a new war with Iran had begun, according to officials. The War Department's new Overseas Operations category lists personnel killed or wounded from July 7 onward, separate from the Operation Epic Fury count. The official total is the sum of both categories [1].
Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) accused Secretary of War Pete Hegseth of "pretending there have been two Iran wars separated by a brief cease-fire." Massie also said going more than 90 days without congressional authorization means the secretary "is breaking the law and must be held accountable" [6].
The War Department has not specified which conflict the Overseas Operations category covers, nor where or how those personnel were killed or wounded. The Intercept reported on Aug. 4 that the split came after a wave of Iranian strikes on U.S. facilities. A U.S. government official quoted in that report called the new method "designed to obscure the count" and described it as a "casualty cover-up."
At the time, The Intercept said the new page listed 273 killed or wounded since July 7. Combined with Operation Epic Fury figures, the official total reached 704, according to the report. Analysts have questioned whether casualties from renewed fighting should be counted separately from Operation Epic Fury [1].
The Intercept's independent tally put the number of U.S. personnel killed or wounded above 900, according to the outlet. The publication documented repeated anomalies, including the Operation Epic Fury count dropping from 500 on July 21 to 431 without explanation. The War Department's public database had previously been reduced from 18 deaths and 482 wounded that had been recorded just days earlier [1].
Official casualty reporting has faced scrutiny in previous U.S. conflicts. In March 2003, CENTCOM reported 12 missing and about 20 Americans captured or killed at Nasiriyah [7]. In November 2003, the U.S. military said 54 Iraqis were killed in Samarra; residents said the casualty figure was lower and the dead were mostly civilians [7].
The Washington Post reported on Aug. 18 that the War Department is considering pulling troops out of the Persian Gulf after months of damage from Iranian attacks, citing eight sources. The war has prompted a "once-in-a-generation chance" for the U.S. to weigh whether to maintain its bases there, according to the report, which added that the department is considering whether to rebuild damaged bases at all [8].
Many Gulf bases were evacuated before the Feb. 28 bombing campaign, and some have been essentially abandoned after heavy Iranian attacks [9]. Current and former U.S. officials said Iranian missiles and drones have exposed the vulnerability of basing troops in Gulf states [10].
Iran's armed forces chief warned Arab governments that "any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor U.S. military amounts to participation" in the war [11]. Michael Ratney, a former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia, named Jordan, Israel and Saudi Arabia's Red Sea coast as possible destinations for relocated forces, while acknowledging the added distance would not remove the threat because Iranian missiles have already reached all three.
Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine has urged the White House for weeks to find a way to end the conflict, according to U.S. media reports cited by Sputnik News. "Caine is looking for an off ramp," a source said [12]. Lawmakers have continued to ask whether the administration has legal authority after going more than 90 days without congressional authorization [6].
The War Department has not said whether the new casualty category will remain in use. As of the Aug. 19 update, the official wounded count was listed at more than 750.