(Natural News) Obesity isn’t just about the number on the weighing scale. In fact, this condition leads to various health complications, causing inflammation that contributes to the development of insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and liver damage. Scientists have explored many natural cures for obesity and its complications. One of these is a South American plant called Rudgea viburnoides. Researchers from the Federal University of Minas Gerais in Brazil found that this plant can be used to treat metabolic and inflammatory changes linked to obesity.
In the study, the researchers looked at this potential of R. viburnoides using mice. They induced obesity in the animals by feeding them with a diet containing high refined carbohydrates for eight weeks. Then, they supplemented the mice with three different doses of R. viburnoides extract: 40, 80, and 160 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg).
The results revealed that treating the obese mice with R. viburnoides extracts led to a reduction in adipocyte size and improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity. The treatment also reduced proinflammatory markers in the liver and fat tissue of mice. Cholesterol and resistin levels were also reduced. In addition, the researchers found that the R. viburnoides extract contains high levels of chlorogenic and caffeic acids, as well as flavonoids rutin and quercetin.
With these findings, the researchers confirmed that R. viburnoides can be used to treat metabolic and inflammatory changes linked to obesity. They published the study in the Journal of Medicinal Food. (Related: Consuming more pomegranate can reduce your risk of obesity-related complications.)
Other herbs for weight loss
The goal of treating obesity is to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The initial goal is to lose three to five percent of your total weight. That is equivalent to about six to 10 lbs (2.7 to 4.5 kg) for people who weigh 200 lbs. From there, you can start to lose more weight, and the more weight you lose, the greater the benefits. Here are other herbs that can help you lose weight:
- Cardamom: Cardamom is a spice commonly used in cooking and baking, but it may also aid in weight loss. An animal study published in the journal Lipids in Health and Disease showed that supplementation with cardamom powder can prevent obesity and improve glucose intolerance, inflammation, and oxidative stress in the liver. Another animal study published in the journal Nutrients reported that black cardamom can effectively reverse the signs of metabolic syndrome. It can reduce abdominal fat, total body fat mass, and triglycerides. It can also improve the structure and function of the heart and liver. Fenugreek supplementation can also reduce daily fat intake by 17 percent, resulting in a lower number of calories consumed throughout the day, according to a study in the European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
- Cayenne pepper: A type of chili pepper, cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which can increase metabolism and reduce hunger and calorie consumption.
- Cumin: A common spice with a distinct nutty flavor, cumin can be an effective weight loss supplement. Studies published in the Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism and Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice showed that cumin supplementation helps reduce body weight and body fat.
- Fenugreek: A common household spice, fenugreek has been shown to help control appetite and reduce food intake to support weight loss. A study on obese participants, which was published in Phytotherapy Research, revealed that fenugreek supplementation increased the feelings of fullness and reduced hunger and food intake.
- Ginger: A literature review published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition confirmed that supplementing with ginger significantly reduced both body weight and belly fat of overweight and obese individuals. Another review, which was published in Phytotherapy Research, provided evidence supporting the efficacy of ginger in managing obesity, suggesting that ginger can increase metabolism and fat burning while reducing fat absorption and appetite.
Keep in mind that to make a weight loss program work, regular exercise and healthy dietary changes are also needed. Visit FightObesity.news to learn of other ways to prevent and treat obesity.