(Natural News) Despite being touted as a panacea for women who are currently having trouble in the bedroom, Big Pharma’s latest libido-boosting offering, bremelanotide – unsurprisingly – comes with a few unpleasant side effects.
As reported by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), women who tested the new drug – manufactured by AMAG Pharmaceuticals Inc. and marketed under the brand name Vyleesi – complained about experiencing vomiting, flushing and headaches, as well as reactions at the site of injection.
According to the FDA, 40 percent of the women who participated in the clinical trials experienced nausea, sometimes severe enough that they needed medication to treat it.
In addition to the side effects mentioned earlier, the drug also increased blood pressure in the women, although it usually returned to normal within 12 hours. According to the FDA however, women with unmanaged high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease should not use the drug, which is currently being marketed as an injectable “female viagra.”
First developed by Palatin Technologies in 2000, bremelanotide is currently marketed as a treatment for generalized hypoactive sexual desire disorder or HSDD, which affects about six million premenopausal American women. According to its manufacturers, however, it is only recommended for women who exhibit low libido without an underlying medical, psychiatric and domestic cause.
According to its manufacturers, bremelanotide is delivered via an injection just under the skin of the thigh or abdomen at least 45 minutes before any sexual activity.
AMAG Pharmaceuticals plans to sell the drug at $899 for a pack of four injectors.
What causes HSDD in women?
HSDD is defined by medical experts as the absence of sexual fantasies, thoughts and desire for or receptivity to sexual activity in women.
According to The Society for Women’s Health Research, about one in 10 women have HSDD, thus making it one of the most prevalent female sexual problems.
Here are some of its most common causes:
- HSDD may be caused by several diseases and illnesses, such as breast cancer, diabetes and urinary incontinence. It can also be caused by thyroid problems, as well as multiple sclerosis.
- HSDD may be caused by mental health problems. According to experts, an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain may cause HSDD. In addition, several psychological conditions may be associated with its development in women, such as depression, anxiety and low self-esteem.
- HSDD may be caused by certain types of medication. As per medical experts, several types of medication — such as the ones used to treat depression, anxiety and high blood pressure, as well as some pain relievers — may trigger the development of HSDD in women.
- HSDD may be caused by relationship issues. Women may lose interest in sex with their partner as a result of conflict or a lack of trust in a relationship.
Treat HSDD the natural way!
While it may be tempting to just head to the nearest drugstore to get pharmaceuticals marketed as cure-alls for problems in the bedroom, it’s always best to go natural.
Here are some natural remedies that can support one’s healthy reproductive and sexual well-being:
- Seafood — Seafood such as oysters, lobsters and crabs are rich in zinc, a mineral that the body needs to perform vital functions such as cell metabolism, stamina, and the regulation of one’s testosterone – an important sex hormone.
- Watermelons — More than just being a refreshing addition to a fruit bowl, watermelons boast high levels of citrulline, a compound that helps encourage blood flow, which helps one achieve better arousal.
- Bananas — Bananas are rich in potassium, an element that is necessary for the synthesis of testosterone, which drives libido.
- Walnuts — Walnuts are rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids, which help boost arginine, an amino acid that helps increase circulation and supports arousal. (Related: Omega-3 fatty acids dramatically increase female libido.)
- Spinach — Spinach is rich in magnesium, a mineral that helps drive blood to the extremities, which then leads to an increase in one’s arousal.
If you’re looking for more natural remedies to improve libido, visit Remedies.news.